History of Goshen Schools
The Goshen Seminary
This institution of learning owes its existence to an organized effort on the part of the citizens of the village, April 12, 1860, to form a stock company for the purpose of erecting a building to be used for the promotion of higher education. The capital stock was fixed at two thousand dollars, in shares of twenty-five dollars each, to be paid in three installments; all the money to be applied in erecting a house and furnishing the same. Seven trustees were to be elected annually. On the 21st of April, the first board of trustees were selected as follows: Caleb Oliver, President; Abram Teetor, Secretary, Richard Roudebush, Treasurer; Samuel Nichols, Harvey Irwin, John Applegate and Thomas Dewey.
In the summer of 1860, the seminary building, a two story brick edifice thirty by fifty feet, was erected at a cost of nearly five thousand dollars. It was located on a little knoll which gave it a commanding appearance. It had a very attractive campus. The house was first occupied for school purposes in the spring of 1861; but the school thus begun, failed to realize the expectations of the founders of the seminary.
The first successful school was taught in 1862 by Prof. George H. Hill and for nine years he presided over the seminary conducting it on his own responsibility and having absolute control of everything except the building. In 1872, W.O. Hopkins took charge of the seminary and taught several years, being followed by L.M. Nevius who also carried on the school for several years.
After September 1879, Prof. C. M. Riggs was principal of the seminary and under his supervision it again took a firm hold upon the confidence of the citizens of Goshen, who awarded it a liberal patronage. The scholarship year consisted of four terms of eleven weeks each , and at appropriate periods, lectures upon relevant subjects were delivered.
Class of 1883/1884
Front row, starting on the left is Cassus Bishop and next to him is Amanda Stouder with the other students unidentified.
Second row, starting fourth on the left is Martha Lesh Bishop and next to her is Orin Morris.
Third row, starting second on the row is Nellie Robbins Williams, Herb Renner, Mary Lesh, Elizabeth "Libby" Elston, Unknown student and John Heywood.
Fourth Row contains teacher C.M. Riggs, standing fourth from the left.
Unidentified but included in the class are John Miller, Cora Arthur, John Dickenson, Sally McMullen, Ida Leever Custer, Frank Snider(MD), Ella Leever, F. Farson and Josey Ramsey
Professor Riggs remained in charge of the seminary until 1884 when David Dailey assumed the school leadership. Professor Dailey was succeeded by E. M. Quayle in 1885. Professor Quayle was followed by Judson Gatch in 1886.
The seminary had been a subscription school up to 1877 when the school was chartered as Goshen Township School of Higher Grade. The local district school having been abandoned, through the efforts of James Malloy, Sr., the local director, the pupils were transferred to the seminary building on the hill below town. The seminary building was first leased and after the original seminary bondholders had been relieved of their obligations, the seminary became the property of the township.