History of Goshen Schools
charter of 1887 empowered the township Board of Education to levy a tax
for the support of school of higher grade. Thus ended the old
subscription school in Goshen Township. In addition to the town
school there were eleven other sub districts, numbered from one to
twelve. They also went under such local names as Obannonville,
Franklin, Oakland, Vinegar Hill, Fairview, Stargazer, Shiloh,
Charleston, Spreadeagle, Salem, Goshen and Sugar Grove.
In 1887, Professor George Johnson was elected Superintendent of Schools and for three years he held the confidence of his constituency. Under his supervision a new course of study was adopted. The author of this Course of Study was F. B. Bishop, who was a teacher under Mr. Johnson and who later became Superintendent of Schools.
In 1890, there came to the schools of Goshen, Sanford L. Turnipseed. Mr. Turnipseed was a native of Adams county, a brick-mason by trade but destined to become not only the educational leader of his community but the dean of school men in his county. Mr. Turnipseed was popular both with young and old. His pleasing personality was a key that opened every hospitable door in the community. For six years he was at the head of the schools. At the end of his fourth year diplomas were issued to the graduates for the first time. The members of the first class of 1894, were: Bertha Bishop, Adam Dull, Josephine Burger, John McCelland, Katherine Malloy Kirgan, Anna Lesh, Henry M. Sears and Maude Smeltzer Nichols.
During the summer and autumn preceding the graduation of the first class in 1894, an addition to the old seminary building was made. Sanford L. Turnipseed who was the first superintendent to grant High School diplomas, laid brick while several of the boys, some graduating later, assisted him.
Sandford L. Turnipseed
Among those who helped Mr. Turnipseed in the construction of this building were: Tom Molloy, John McClelland, Dick Holmes and others. At this time there occurred the first and only labor dispute of the township. The boys said they were doing as much as certain adult workmen who received more pay. They demanded equal pay for equal work. The rebellious economic ideas of the boys were soon squelched and the boys returned to work forthwith. Thus the first industrial dispute of the township ended.
Mr. Turnipseed was succeeded in 1897 by F. M. Woodward who remained at the head of the school for a period of two years. After two successful years at Williamsburg, Mr. Turnipseed was recalled to Goshen. This time, he remained at the head of the school for three years, discharging his pedagogical duties in a satisfactory manner.