History of Goshen Schools
Mr. Turnipseed was followed by professor Fred Bishop who had been Mr. Turnipseed's assistant. During the superintendency of Mr. Bishop, the schools of the county were classified by the state. There was one first grade, one third grade and the remaining schools were classed as second grade. Goshen was rated as a school of the second grade and remained such until January 22, 1908, when it was advanced to a High School of the first grade.
In the summer and fall of 1907, a new building was erected. It was located on a plot of ground across from the old Seminary Building. This was a fine two story building, constructed of buff colored pressed brick. There were the same number of classrooms in the new building as in the old seminary but these rooms were supplemented with a laboratory upstairs and two play rooms in the basement. The new building was heated by steam, and was constructed according to state building code. The playground and building were superior to the old building and its surroundings in every respect, The guiding light of this new venture was D.E. Kirgan, Superintendent of Schools at this time. There was no class graduated in 1908, due to the fact that the charter of the school was advanced from second grade to first grade. The faculty this year was composed of D.E. Kirgan (Superintendent), G. E. Franz, Albert Callon and Mabel Myers Yeoman.
The first class graduated under the new charter was the Class of 1909 composed of the following members: Irene Clemmons, Ray Ferree, Grace Franz, Edith Knott Innis, Vera Philhower, Ethel Roudebush, Edward Saxton, Clifford Snider and C. Elmer Wylie.
Class of 1909
There had been much discussion concerning consolidation and centralization up to this time. These new movements had somewhat been practiced but it was not until 1915 that the schools of Goshen Township were completely centralized. This happened under the supervision of G. E. Roudebush, now (1928) Assistant Superintendent of Schools of Columbus Ohio.
At this time, there were erected four rooms which completed the original plan of the building. There were also two basement play rooms added at this time. Mr Roudebush was also instrumental in organizing the first Parent-Teacher Association. It was called "The Mothers Club" at that time.
The year 1916 saw the last of the one-room schools in Goshen Township. From the organization of the High School in 1893 to 1915, a period of twenty-two years, the Superintendent of the High School was also the Superintendent of the rural one room schools. The Superintendents of the High School from the time the first diplomas were issued up to 1928 were S. L. Turnipseed for a period of three years: F. M. Woodward, two years; F. B. Bishop, four years; D. E. Kirgan, two years under second grade charter and three years under first year charter; W. L. Hostetter, one year; C. C. Wood, three years; George Roudebush, two years; W. Ross Dunn, one year; Collis Jordan, one year; F. B. Bishop, two years; Celia Lonsinger, two years, and F. B. Hoggatt, the present incumbent, six years, 1922-28.
At the beginning of the school year 1923-24, Manual Training and Domestic Science were introduced into the school curriculum. The first teacher of Domestic Science was Gladys Laird Kuck and the first Manual Training instructor was F. B. Hoggatt. The new classes used the two basement rooms formerly used as playrooms.